Monday, January 9, 2012

In Limbo

I feel like that's where we are right now - in limbo. If I had known it would take this much waiting to buy a house, we would have started looking much earlier. But if we'd done that, we'd never found this great house we've been waiting for (because it was out of our price range til we started looking.)

The reason for all the waiting is that the house is a short sale. That means the owner is selling the house before it is foreclosed on and I think because of this, it saves the bank some money since they don't have to foreclose on it.  They do have to take a loss on it though, but in all actuality, considering the money they've made in interest on the house, they're not losing anything. But still... The waiting game drives me crazy. It's all I can think about right now (that and maddie's tubes... more on that later.)

This week is the big week for us I think. This week decides so much of our near future. Here's why... The bank has already approved of our offer on the house. Because the price was lower than the amount the owner owed, mortgage insurance had to approve of the offer as well, since they will paying the bank back some of it's losses. Anyways, that happened on Wednesday of last week though we didn't hear about it til Friday. There is one heck of a grapevine the news has to travel through to reach us! At the moment, we are waiting on the actual lenders to approve of our offer. Makes no sense to me, but the bank we were negotiating with before is just that... negotiators. Another bank is the actual lender and has to approve of the offer.  I heard from our realty agent today that we should hear from them by Friday. Our agent has told us that he would like a good 3 weeks to close on the house. And that is why this week is so important. If we hear from the lenders by Wednesday, We can probably close on the 27th, which means we would move directly into our house. If we don't hear from them until Friday, Our close date will more than likely be the first week in February.

It wouldn't really be a big deal, except that as everything stands now, we have to be out of our apartment on the 27th. Which is a Friday. We will be slightly "homeless" for a couple to a few weeks. Don't worry though. We have a place to go. Chris's mom and dad are wonderful and will let us stay in their empty bedroom upstairs until everything works out. As grateful as I am to have that safety net there, I'd really rather not use it. So I'm praying... HARD! And hoping that I get a call in the next 2 days saying everyone and their mom has approved of our offer and we're ready to start the closing process. If not... Then we'll be moving twice in less than a month. For now... It's Limbo.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck to you. I have to say for a normal house buying experience, it takes about this long for all of the i's to be dotted and the t's to be crossed, negotiating, etc. We had an outright battle back and forth (it was a divorce situation with the sellers). Very few people have a smooth transition...very surprising that it's gone this quick for a short sale. Hope everything works out for ya'll, though. It would be nice to move right into your house!


Leave A Note!