Monday, June 28, 2010

The Girls Room

I've redone the girls room (only like the 2nd or 3rd time, it's not as bad as my office.) If you've been online looking at decorating ideas for girls recently, you've seen bunting!!! It's all over the place. It's not only in girl's rooms, but boys, kitchens, birthdays...

I thought bunting was called pennants, and bunting was something you wrap a baby up in. I guess I was wrong. Anyways, the plain white walls of the girls room were driving me nuts. If I have one bad pet peeve about apartment living, it's the white walls. I hate how uninviting it is... how... sterile. But we can't really paint. Well, that's not true, we could... but then we'd have to paint it all back to white, and I'm just not up for that.

Anyways, I've been thinking about using bunting to help decorate the girls room and add some color. I had thought about sewing it with scraps of fabric, but I don't have alot of fabric, so I'd have to buy some, and we really don't have the money to spend on it. So I kept trying to come up with an idea. I've seen a few blog posts about making bunting out of newspaper... you paint the news paper, glue it to string, and hang it up. It was cute, but not quite what I wanted. I finally figured out a way to make my bunting without having to buy any supplies.

I made a template for my triangles out of plain white paper. I then traced this triangle onto sheets of scrapbooking paper. With the size of the triangle I made, I got 2 large triangles out of each sheet. I'm thinking about using the scraps to make a small thing of bunting to line the girls closet door. Anyways, I then used a hole punch to make two holes in the top corners of the triangles. I then took my ribbon and threaded it through the triangles. I let Taylor decide the order for the bunting.

I think it looks great and adds a special something to the girls room. After putting up the bunting, Maddie's wall looked very undone and blank. So I tried thinking about some other cute stuff I could use to decorate. A while back a friend of mine gave me a HUGE bag full of dress up clothes. In it were a few pairs of butterfly/fairy wings. Some of them attatched using velcro - and we don't have anyway for the girls to wear them so they just sat there. I figured I could use these to decorate Maddie's wall. I love it. I think they look awesome. I have a few other ideas I'm going to try out before I'm done with their room... And I can't wait. I'm also trying to come up with some ways to decorate the walls in my office. If you have any ideas, let me know. I'm in desperate need of some inspiration.

Here are the pictures. The first ones are of my office. The last few are the girls room.


















1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to do bunting in the kids room too! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete

Leave A Note!