Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Some Freezer Food

So I mentioned before about us planning our meals...
Today I created a Menu board
I got the collage picture frame at Walmart for $4... used some scrapbooking paper to decorate the background.  You can use dry erase markers on glass... so yeah.  It works great.

Yesterday I made the freezer potatoes
Here's the Steps followed by Pictures
  1. Get out potatoes and Directions
  2. Preheat oven to 450.
  3. Wash, pierce  and sort potatoes by size and what you want to do with them (top left: baked potatoes, top right: roasted potatoes, two different flavors, bottom: potato wedges)
  4. Place potatoes for baking on cookie sheet and stick in oven.
  5. Begin cutting potatoes lengthwise for Wedges (into 6 or 8 depending on size.)
  6. After wedges are cut, place in zip lock bag, add olive oil to coat them and seasonings. (I used some salt, pepper, and little garlic powder, and a dash of Italian seasonings.  Some people also add sugar to brown the potatoes more.
  7. Place wedges on cookies sheet, (I made sure no two pieces were touching too much.  Gotta keep an eye on those wedges.  Don't want no wedge babies... would they be called wedgies? ) Place in oven (with baked potato is fine) for 30 minutes.
  8. Begin chopping potatoes for roasted potatoes.  
  9. Place in bag (like before) and season to liking.  I did 1/2 with more italian seasonings, then I topped the other 1/2 with some taco seasoning!  
  10. When potato wedges are done, take them out and place in the roasted potatoes.  Set timer for 30 minutes.
  11. Put cooked wedges on paper towels or brown bags to cool off.  Once they're cool, place them on a cookie sheet again and put them in the freezer to individually freeze them.  This way you don't have to use the whole batch at once.
  12. When the timer goes off, repeat step 11 for the other potatoes.
  13. After a couple hours in the freezer, all the potatoes should be frozen.  Place in Ziplock baggies and date them and write what they are.  It may be hard to tell once it's frozen.  You can also go on and write reheating instructions on the bags too if you'd like.  
  14. To reheat the baked potatoes, you can thaw in a microwave and then cook for a couple minutes, or place them in the oven with whatever else is cooking for dinner and reheat them.  They're good to go.  You could also even freeze the baked potato with some toppings already on it.  I didn't though.
  15. For the potato wedges and roasted potatoes, they're only partially cooked.  Place them in a 450 degree oven.  Cook the wedges an additional 30 - 45 minutes and the roasted potatoes an additional 20 - 30 minutes.




The plan I used also provided the steps for casseroles, twice baked potatoes, potato skins, mashed potatoes, soups, oven fries and hashbrowns.  I only did the ones I did cause I know we'll use them quickly, and I didn't have enough potatoes to try everything.

It was less work than I thought it would be.  I haven't tried any of them yet, but yesterday my bro michael was over and had one of the baked potatoes.  He said it was good.  He cooked it in the microwave for a few minutes.  I read if you make baked potatoes ahead of time this way and then reheat in the microwave, they don't have that microwaved texture nuked potatoes usually have.

MY RESOURCE:
The website i found the Potato plan on was www.menus4moms.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave A Note!